Nut-Stuffed Semolina Pastries, Cyprus Style Recipe
You may substitute blanched almonds for the pistachios and peanut oil for the butter.
Instructions:1. In a small, heavy saucepan, bring the butter to bubbling over medium heat and stir in the fine semolina.
2. Transfer to a small bowl, cover, and let stand overnight at room temperature.
3. The next day, uncover and add 2 teaspoons orange flower water, the salt, and gradually the warm water, working with your fingers to make a firm dough.
4. Knead for 5 minutes, then cover and let rest 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, combine the pistachios, sugar, and ground cinnamon in a small bowl.
6. Break off pieces of dough slightly larger in size than a walnut.
7. Work in your fingers to form a ball.
8. Press the center with your thumb to make a large well and fill with 1 teaspoon of the nut mixture, then cover over with dough and shape into an oval.
9. Set on a cookie sheet and continue until all pastries are shaped.
10. Bake in a moderate oven (350 F) for 30 to 35 minutes or until the yellow color has become a light, not a deep, chestnut.
11. Remove to racks and cool for 10 minutes, then dip quickly into orange flower water and roll in confectioners' sugar.
12. Cool before storing.