Caramel Nut Thumbprints Recipe
Instructions:1. Heat oven to 325 F.
2. In large bowl, combine sugar, butter and shortening; beat until light and fluffy.
3. Add vanilla and egg yolk; blend well.
4. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
5. Add flour, cocoa and baking powder to butter mixture, mix well.
6. In small bowl, beat egg white until foamy; place pecans in another small bowl.
7. Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
8. Dip in egg white; roll in pecans.
9. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
10. With thumb, make indentation of each cookie.
11. Bake at 325 F for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are set.
12. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, combine caramels and half and half; cook over medium-low heat until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally.
13. Immediately remove cookies from cookie sheets; place on wire racks.
14. Spoon 1/2 tespoon warm caramel mixture into center of each cookie.
15. Cool completely.