Amish Peanut Butter Cream Pie Recipe
Instructions:1. Beat together the powdered sugar and peanut butter until the mixture is crumbly; set aside.
2. In a large, heavy saucepan, combine 2/3 c sugar and 2 c milk; heat to scalding or until bubbles start to form on the bottom.
3. Do not let it boil.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks to mix; blend in 3 tbsp cornstarch, flour and salt.
5. Stir to make a paste.
6. Whisk in the remaining 1 c cold milk, whisking until the mixture is smooth.
7. Pour in some of the hot milk mixture, stirring to combine.
8. Add mixture in bowl to the milk in the saucepan.
9. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture bubbles up in the center.
10. Add the butter and 1 tsp vanilla.
11. Remove from heat and let custard cool.
12. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
13. Sprinkle 2/3 of the crumbly peanut butter mixture in the bottom of the baked (and cooled) pastry shell.
14. Pour the cooled custard mixture over the top.
15. In a large mixer bowl, place the egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining 1 t vanilla.
16. Beat until stiff peaks form.
17. Gradually, while beating, add the 4 tbsp remaining sugar and 3 tbsp remaining cornstarch.
18. Continue beating until whiltes are very think and glossy.
19. Spread on top of pie; sprinkle the remaining peanut butter mixture on top.
20. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes; watching carefully, or until the meringue is golden brown.