White Christmas Pie Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 baked 9-inch pastry shell
- Additional flaked coconut (optional)
- Red and green candied cherries
1. Soften gelatin in cold water, and set aside.
2. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and salt in a saucepan; gradually add milk, stirring until blended.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
4. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat; stir in softened gelatin and flavorings.
7. Beat egg whites, at room temperature, and cream of tartar until foamy; gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until soft peaks form.
8. Fold egg whites, whipped cream, and 1 cup coconut into gelatin mixture; pour into crust.
9. Sprinkle with additional coconut, if desired.
10. Chill until set.
11. Garnish with candied cherries.