Aunt Jenny's Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
Instructions:1. Scald milk and cream (heat until bubbles form at edges in the top of a double boiler, over simmering water.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, sugar and salt; mix thoroughly.
3. Add to milk and cook 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Mixture should be thick and smooth.
5. Lightly whisk egg yolks in a small bowl.
6. Continue whisking while pouring 1/4 cup hot milk mixture over yolks; return yolk mixture to double boiler and cook one minute longer.
7. Cool and add vanilla and 1/2 cup coconut.
8. Pour filling into pre-baked pie shell.
9. Top with meringue and and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup coconut over top.
10. Bake in preheated 325-degree oven 15 or until firm and delicately browned.
11. Cool and store in refrigerator.
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat whites until stiff but not dry.
2. Add sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly.
3. Add vanilla.
4. Pile lightly onto hot filling in baked pie shell and spread to edges so pie is completely sealed.
5. Bake as directed above.