Ginger-Almond Florentines Recipe
Instructions:1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line 2 large, heavy baking sheets with aluminum foil.
3. Lightly butter foil.
4. Combine cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar and butter in a heavy saucepan.
5. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until sugars dissolve and butter melts.
6. Add almonds, flour, ginger, and orange and lemon zests.
7. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Drop 1 tablespoon batter (batter will be runny) onto a prepared baking sheet.
10. Repeat five times, spacing cookies 3 inches apart.
11. Repeat with second baking sheet.
12. Bake until deep brown, about 10 minutes.
13. Remove from oven.
14. Using a round cookie cutter or a glass 3 inches in diameter, push hot cookie edges in toward center to neaten them, shaping into 3-inch rounds.
15. Slide foil off sheets.
16. Line the same sheets with new foil, butter foil and repeat with remaining batter.
17. Cool cookies completely on the foil.
18. Carefully peel cookies off foil and arrange them smooth-side up on the baking sheets.
19. Spoon 1 teaspoon of the hot chocolate coating in center of each and, using a small icing spatula or knife, spread to edges.
20. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
21. Store layered between waxed paper in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
22. Makes about 2 dozen.
1. Combine chocolate and shortening in top of double boiler.
2. Melt over (not touching) water just until smooth, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Alternatively, melt chocolate and shortening in heatproof bowl placed over (not touching) simmering water.
5. Dip one flat side of biscotti into warm chocolate or spread like icing.
6. Refrigerate until chocolate sets. Makes about 3/4 cup.