Danish Cockscombs with Almond Filling Recipe
1. Beat the almond paste, butter, and sugar well in a small bowl until smooth and well-blended. Set aside.
2. Roll pastry on floured surface to 2 20″ x 15″ rectangles.
3. Trim edges evenly.
4. With a sharp knife cut into 12 5″ squares.
5. Spoon filling onto center of each square, dividing evenly.
6. Spread filling slightly parallel to one edge; brush edges lightly with egg; then fold opposite edges over ; press edges together to seal.
7. Make 4 or 5 slits in sealed edge; place on cooky sheet, curving pastries slightly to resemble a cocks comb.
8. Let rise in warm place until double in bulk, about 30 minutes.
9. Brush with egg; sprinkle generously with sugar.
10. Place in hot oven (400F); lower heat immediately to 350F.
11. Bake 20 minutes or until puffed and golden brwown.
12. Remove to wire rack and cool.