Chinese Almond Cookies Recipe - Printable Version Makes about 60 cookies
- 1 cup lard or solid shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- About 60 whole blanched almonds
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp water
1. In a large bowl, cream lard and both sugars until fluffy.
2. Add egg and almond extract; beat until well blended.
3. Sift flour with salt and baking powder.
4. Add to creamed mixture; mix well.
5. To shape each cookie, roll 1 tbsp of dough into a ball.
6. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
7. Gently down on each ball, making a 2-inch round.
8. Press an almond in center of each round.
9. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with water; brush mixture over top of each cookie.
10. Bake in a 350 oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
11. Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool completely.
12. Store in an airtight container.