Almond Cookies Recipe
Instructions:1. In medium size bowl, cream together lard, vegetable shortening, and sugars until very light and creamy.
2. Beat in one of the eggs and the almond extract.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. Beating at low speed if using mixer, add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, about 1/3 at a time.
5. Press dough together with your hands to form 2 balls, which will be very crumbly.
6. Place each ball on wax paper and roll into cylinder about 8-inch long.
7. Chill for several hours, or better overnight.
8. Preheat oven to 275 F.
9. Beat remaining egg with the 2 tbsp water.
10. With sharp, serrated knife cut each cylinder into 16 equal slices.
11. Place on large ungreased baking sheet.
12. Brush cookies with egg wash and press an almond into center of each.
13. Bake cookies in center of oven for 25 minutes, then raise heat to 325 F and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until golden brown.
14. Transfer cookies to rack and let cool completely.
15. Store airtight for several weeks.
16. You can obtain traditional apricot pits at any health food store.