Almond Cookie Wreaths Recipe - Printable Version Makes 50 cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp green food coloring
- Red candied cherries
1. Mix sugar, margarine, milk, egg, vanilla and almond extract.
2. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Divide dough into halves.
4. Tint 1/2 with food color.
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
6. For each wreath, shape 1 teaspoon dough from each half into 4-inch rope.
7. For smooth, even ropes, roll back and forth on sugared surface.
8. Place 1 green and 1 white rope side by side; press together lightly and twist.
9. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
10. Shape each into circle with ends meeting; press bits of candied cherries on wreath for holly berries.
11. Heat oven to 375 F.
12. Bake until set and very light brown, 9 to 12 minutes.