New Orleans Beignet Doughnuts Recipe - Printable Version Makes 10 doughnuts
- 1 pk active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cup warm water (105 deg F)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup soft shortening
- Oil for frying
1. In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water; stir to dissolve.
2. Add sugar, salt, eggs and milk.
3. Blend with rotary beater.
4. Add 4 cups of the flour; beat smooth.
5. Add shortening; beat in remaining flour.
6. Cover and chill several hours.
7. Deep fry at 360 degrees 2 to 3 mintues or until lightly browned on each side. (If beignets don't rise to the top immediately when you drop them into the oil, the oil isn't hot enough.)
8. Drain on paper towels.
9. Sprinkle heavily with confectioners' sugar.
10. Serve hot.