Winter Mushroom Soup Recipe
Nutrition per serving: 190 calories, 33 gm carbohydrate, 8 gm protein, 4 gm fat (including 2 gm sat fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 555 mg sodium, 54 mg. calcium and 6 gm. dietary fiber.
Each serving contains approximately 1 vegetable exch, 2 bread/ starch exch, 1 fat exch.
Instructions:1. This is mushroom-barley soup at its best.
2. The recipe, is spicy and rich.
3. Dried mushrooms are soaked in stock and the soaking liquid is strained through a coffee filter to remove any particles.
4. If you have leftover soup, you'll need a bit more stock to thin it for serving the next time.
5. In small saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups stock just to boil.
6. Place dried mushrooms in small bowl and pour steaming stock over them.
7. Soak mushrooms 15 minutes.
8. Drain mushrooms, squeezing out excess liquid and reserving all liquid.
9. Strain this mushroom broth through a paper coffee filter rinsed with hot water.
10. Reserve strained broth.
11. Chop soaked mushrooms and reserve.
12. In large soup pot over low heat melt butter.
13. Stir in fresh mushrooms and cook until they soften and release moisture, about 10 minutes.
14. Stir in remaining 101/2 cups stock, the soaked mushrooms and their broth, and the onion, leeks, carrots, parsnips, garlic and bay leaves.
15. Increase heat and bring mixture to boil.
16. Skim surface if necessary.
17. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
18. Stir in barley and simmer 20 minutes.
19. Stir in potatoes and simmer until barley and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
20. Remove bay leaves.
21. Remove soup from heat and season with salt, pepper and dill.
22. Ladle soup into individual-serving bowls and swirl a spoonful of sour cream into each portion. Makes 3 quarts; 8 to 10 servings.