Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Instructions:1. In a large saucepan melt butter with the olive oil over moderate heat.
2. Add the shallots and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the sliced mushrooms, thyme leaves, salt and pepper, cooking until all of the liquid rendered from the mushrooms evap orates.
4. Add the Sherry and cook until evaporated.
5. Remove a 1/2 cup of the cooked mushrooms and reserve.
6. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add 3 cups of the chicken broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
8. In a blender puree the soup in batches until smooth.
9. For a very smooth soup, pass through a fine sieve.
10. Return soup to saucepan, bring to a simmer and whisk in the milk.
11. Add reserved chicken broth to achieve desired consistency.
12. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
13. Lower heat and whisk in 1/4 cup of the sour cream.
14. Keep soup warm but do not simmer or boil.
15. Serve soup garnished with reserved cooked mushrooms and a dollop of the remaining sour cream.