Venison or Rabbit Confit Recipe
Rabbit fillet may be substituted for the venison, but cooking time should be reduced by 4 to 5 minutes.
Instructions:1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, add the venison fillets, and sear quickly on all sides until lightly caramelized, about 1 minute.
3. Put all the herbs and peppercorns and anise in a thick-bottomed stainless-steel pan, place the venison fillets on top of the herbs, and add the cold canola oil until it covers the meat by 1 inch.
4. Place the pan in the oven for 10 minutes or until the temperature of the oil reaches 145 degrees.
5. Take the pan out of the oven and allow the venison to rest in the oil for 10 minutes.
6. Remove the venison from the oil and dry off excess oil with a paper towel.
7. Season each fillet generously with salt, pepper, and crushed juniper berries.