Hoppin' John Recipe
This traditional Southern dish is served on New Year's Day for good luck throughout the year.
Each serving (1-1/3 cup) with sausage provides: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 protein, 1 bread exchanges.
Per serving (with sausage): 281 calories; 17 g protein; 45 carbohydrates; 4 g fat: 1 g poly, 1 g mono, 1 g saturated; 302 mg sodium; 19 mg cholestrol.
Each serving (1-1/3 cup) without sausage provides: 1 vegetable, 1/2 protein, 1 bread exchanges.
Per serving (without sausage): 238 calories; 13 g protein; 45 g carbohydrates; 2 g fat: 0 g poly, 0 g mono, 0 g saturated; 50 mg sodium; 0 mg cholestrol.
Instructions:1. Spray medium saucepan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Add sausage, if using; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes, until lightly browned.
3. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring until onion is golden.
4. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
5. Add broth, black-eyed peas, bay leaf and 2 cups water; bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour, until peas are soft but not mushy.
7. Add rice, thyme and pepper; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until rice is just tender.
8. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes, covered.
9. Sprinkle with scallions and parsley and serve.