Apple-Almond Stuffed Turkey Recipe - Printable Version Serves 12
- 1 lb sliced bread
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fully cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 tbsp dried savory
- 2 tsp lemon peel, grated
- 1 1/2 tsp orange peel, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp each: pepper and fennel seed,
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 cup turkey or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 14-16 lb turkey
1. Cut bread into 1/2" cubes and place in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets.
2. Bake at 225 degrees for 30-40 minutes, tossing occasionally until partially dried.
3. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the next 10 ingredients in butter until onions and apple are tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Transfer to a large bowl.
5. Add the bread cubes, almonds, currants, broth and juice; toss well.
6. Just before baking, stuff the turkey.
7. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together.
8. Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
9. Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until thermometer reads 185 degrees.
10. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with foil and baste if needed.