Portuguese Potato and Kale Soup Recipe
For a satisfying winter supper, serve this peasant soup with chewy Portuguese corn bread called broa.
254 calories per serving: 10 grams fat, 277 mg sodium and 19 mg cholesterol.
Instructions:1. Heat a small, nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Drain the chorizo on paper towels and set aside.
4. In a heavy stockpot, heat oil over medium heat.
5. Add onions and saute until softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Add chicken stock, potatoes and garlic and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
8. With a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes and garlic to a bowl; lightly mash with a fork.
9. Return to the soup and bring to a simmer.
10. Stir in kale, a handful at a time.
11. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the kale is tender.
12. Stir in the reserved chorizo and season with salt and pepper.