Authentic New England Fish Chowder Recipe
Instructions:1. Cut salt pork into inch pieces, place in kettle simmer slowly until fat is extracted, add slice onion.
2. Saute until wilted, add potatoes and water.
3. Place frozen fish on top of mixture in kettle.
4. Cook slowly breaking up fish with fork as it thaws.
5. Add more water if necessary as it cooks, but keep to a minimum.
6. Cook until potatoes are soft, slightly mushy.
7. Add milk and seasoning, bring almost to a boil, add butter and serve. (Fresh haddock or cod can not be found in the west).
1. Same as fish chowder, substituting liquid for 2 cans of Snows Eastern clam pieces for some of the water.
2. Add clams after potatoes are well cooked, then adding milk as before.
3. One can of clam pieces and one can of Snows clams may be used.
4. Snows clams and pieces make excellent substitute for fresh eastern clams.