Chicken Roti Recipe
This chicken roti is a mixture of chicken and seasonings that is put into a piece of bread called a poori, and then eaten like a sandwich.
The fillings vary from island to island in the Caribbean, depending on available ingredients and preferred seasonings.
Instructions:1. To prepare the pooris, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Pour the oil into the water, then add this mixture to the flour mixture to form a dough.
3. Mix well.
4. Knead for about 5 minutes until dough is very smooth.
5. Divide into 6 balls of dough.
6. Set aside for about 2 hours, covered with a damp cloth.
7. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball into a thin flattened circle, a poori, about 9 inches in diameter.
8. Set aside, covered.
9. To prepare the filling, combine the chicken and all the other ingredients except the oil and the garnish.
10. Mix well and marinate for 2 hours or longer.
11. When done marinating, add 2 tablespoons oil to a saucepan and heat to medium.
12. Add the chicken mixture and cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes.
13. Add the water then cook on low for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
14. Keep warm.
15. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a skillet or grill.
16. Place the rolled pooris on the skillet.
17. Fry each side for about 2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
18. Brush each side with margarine or oil.
19. Wrap in clean towel to keep warm until ready to serve.
20. When ready to serve, fold about 2 tablespoons of chicken mixture into each round and serve.
21. Garnish with scallions and Scotch Bonnet pepper.