Chicken Mulligatawny (Sri Lanka) Recipe
Instructions:1. Cut chicken into joints and put into a large saucepan with sufficient water to cover.
2. Add salt, peppercorns, celery leaves and 1 onion peeled and stuck with the whole cloves.
3. Bring to the boil on high heat, then turn heat low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add coriander, cummin, fennel, turmeric, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, and tomatoes and simmer for a further hour or until chicken is tender.
5. Strain stock into a large bowl.
6. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut hald the flesh into dice and return to the stock.
7. Slice the remaining onion.
8. Wash out pan in which chicken cooked, dry it well and in it heat the ghee.
9. Fry the curry leaves and sliced onion until the onion is well browned, then pour stock into pan and let it come to the boil.
10. Reduce heat, stir in coconut milk and when soup returns to simmering point again remove from heat.
11. Taste and add lemon juice to sharpen the flavour.
12. If necessary add more salt.
13. Serve hot.