Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Gravy Recipe - Printable Version Serves 4
- 2 1/2 pounds to 3 lb broiler-fryer
- Chicken, cut up
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Cooking oil for frying
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Salt/pepper to taste
1. Place chicken in a large flat dish.
2. Pour buttermilk over; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a double-strength paper bag.
4. Drain chicken pieces; toss, one at a time, in flour mixture.
5. Shake off excess; place on waxed paper for 15 minutes to dry.
6. Heat 1/8-1/4" of oil in a large skillet; fry chicken until browned on all sides.
7. Cover and simmer, turning occasionally, for 40-45 minutes, or until juices run clear and chicken is tender.
8. Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer.
9. Remove chicken and keep warm.
10. Drain all but 1/4 cup drippings in skillet; stir in flour until bubbly.
11. Add milk and 1 1/2 cups water; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
12. Cook 1 minute more.
13. Add remaining water if needed.
14. Season with salt and pepper.
15. Serve with chicken.