Athens Market's Avgolemono Soup (Egg Lemon Soup) Recipe
Instructions:1. Place chicken, water, and desired amount of salt in heavy pot.
2. Bring to boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours, skimming foam off top as necessary.
4. Add more water, as necessary, so you will end up with 3 quarts of chicken stock.
5. Remove chicken and set aside for later use.
6. Strain chicken stock into clean saucepan, reserving 3 cups.
7. Bring stock in saucepan to boil.
8. Add rice and bring back to boil.
9. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is soft.
10. In a large measuring cup, place lemon juice with one cup of reserved chicken stock.
11. Set aside.
12. In large mixing bowl beat eggs on high speed for 4 minutes.
13. Reduce speed to medium and continue beating while you slowly add lemon juice and stock mixture.
14. Into same mixture, pour 2 cups of reserved chicken stock slowly, while continuously mixing.
15. Turn mixer off.
16. Pour egg and lemon mixture slowly into saucepan of rice and stock, stirring continually.
17. Continue to stir for one minute while soup cooks.
18. Remove from heat.
19. Salt and pepper to taste.
20. Serve hot.
21. You can chop up the cooked chicken into small chunks and add it to the soup. Or use the chicken to make chicken salad, sandwiches, etc.