Athenian Chicken Rolls Recipe
Instructions:1. Place chicken between two pieces of wax paper and gently pound until almost double in size.
2. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper.
3. In large frypan, place olive oil and heat to medium temperature.
4. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
5. Add spinach and saute until barely wilted; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
6. Remove mixture from frypan, drain, cool and divide into 8 parts.
7. On each chicken breast, place 1 part of the spinach mixture; sprinkle cheese evenly over chicken, roll up and fasten with toothpicks.
8. In medium bowl, mix eggs and milk.
9. In separate shallow bowl, place bread crumbs.
10. Add chicken, first in egg mixture and then in bread crumbs, dredging to coat.
11. In same frypan, place peanut oil and heat to medium temperature.
12. Add chicken and cook until brown.
13. Remove chicken to pan with cover and bake in 350F oven about 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted with ease.
14. To make sauce, drain most of oil from frypan, leaving brown bits on bottom of pan; add butter and melt over medium heat.
15. Add mushrooms and saute about 2 minutes.
16. Add flour, stirring to blend and thicken.
17. Add chicken broth, wine, lemon juice, and capers.
18. Cook about 4 minutes or until thickened.
19. Place chicken rolls on serving dish and pour sauce over rolls.