Applesauce Chicken Recipe - Printable Version Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar, firmly, packed
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut in 8 pieces
- Fresh herb sprigs, optional
1. Start fire in grill, placing rack 4 inches above coals (if cooking in oven, see below).
2. Heat oil in a 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion; cook about 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened.
3. Add applesauce, ketchup, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened.
5. Remove from heat; set aside until fire is ready.
6. Place chicken pieces, skin side down, on hot grill rack; cook covered with grill cover, 15 minutes.
7. Turn pieces over; cook, covered, another 10 minutes.
8. Brush applesauce mixture liberally over chicken; cook, covered, 5 minutes longer until chicken is cooked through.
9. Serve garnished with herb sprigs.
1. Chicken may be baked in oven.
2. Prepare applesauce mixture as directed above.
3. Heat oven to 400F.
4. Arrange chicken pieces, skin side up, in baking or roasting pan; bake 20 minutes.
5. Brush with applesauce mixture; bake 10 minutes longer until golden brown and cooked through.