Pyrizhky (Baked Turnovers) with Meat Filling Recipe
Note: This is a short dough so a non-stick baking sheet would be the best. If it is not available, brush as little grease on the sheet as possible using a pastry brush or new paint brush.
Instructions:1. Combine the flour and cold butter in a processor or cut the butter with a pastry cutter into coarse crumbs.
2. Add the egg yolks, salt, and cream and process or knead lightly until the dough forms a ball.
3. Cut in half, wrapping each have in plastic wrap, refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. Roll out half the dough on a lightly floured work surface, to about 1/4-inch thickness.
5. Cut into rounds with a 3-inch cutter or wine glass.
6. Place a spoonful of the filling (recipe below) on one side of each round, fold the top over, brush with a little of the egg glaze and seal with a fork or pastry cutter for a fancy edge.
7. Place each turnover on a lightly greased or non-stick baking sheet and brush with the glaze then sprinkle with the sugar crystals.
8. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for about 20 minutes.
9. Cool on wire racks.
1. Cook onions in large frying pan until golden brown.
2. Add meat and simmer until fully cooked.
3. Remove meat from the pan, leaving the oil and juices.
4. Add flour and stock or water, and bring to a boil.
5. Return meat to the pan and let cool.
6. Mix in chopped hard-boiled eggs and parsley. Season to taste.