Bavarian Pot Roast Recipe - Printable Version Serves 12
- 6 lb beef round bottom, round roast
- 2 tbsp cooking fat
- 1 1/2 cup apple juice
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup flour, for gravy
1. In a Dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat.
2. Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan.
3. Pour off fat drippings.
4. Add the apple juice, tomato sauce, onion, ginger, cinnamon, salt, vinegar, and bay leaf; mix well.
5. Return meat to pan. Cover and simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until done. (Or cook in a 325F oven for same amount of time.)
6. Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout.
7. When done, remove meat and keep warm.
8. Discard bay leaf.
9. For 2 cups of gravy, pour liquid from pan into a 2-cup measuring cup. Let stand for 1 minute to allow fat to come to top.
10. Discard all but 4 Tablespoons (or less) of fat.
11. Add enough water (or other liquid) to measure 1 1/2 cups of liquid. Return to pan.
12. In same cup, measure 1/2 cup cold water and blend in flour. Add mixture slowly to liquid in pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Taste gravy and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
13. Slice meat; serve gravy separately.