Maple Syrup Mousse Recipe
Instructions:1. Sprinkle gelatin over water in double boiler set over gently simmering water; stir to dissolve.
2. Add brown sugar, yolks and salt and whisk until thickened and gelatin is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer mixture to bowl; strain if necessary.
4. Stir in maple syrup.
5. Cool completely.
6. Refrigerate until just beginning to set, about 15 minutes; do not allow mixture to gel.
7. Beat whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
8. Add 1/4 cup sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and beat until stiff and shiny.
9. Gently fold 1/3 of the mixture to lighten.
10. Fold in remaining whites.
11. Beat 2 cups cream until soft peaks form.
12. Fold in maple syrup mixture.
13. Spoon mousse into large bowl, stemmed goblets or pots de creme.
14. Refrigerate several for hours or overnight.
15. Just before serving, whip remaining 1 cup cream with powdered sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
16. Sprinkle mousse with gingersnap crumbs.
17. Garnish with whipped cream and maple candies if desired.