Mandarin Pancakes Recipe
Instructions:1. Measure flour into a bowl and mix in water with a fork or chopsticks.
2. Work dough several minutes until it holds together, then knead on a lightly floured board until smooth and satiny (about ten minutes).
3. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
4. Roll dough into a 12 inch long log.
5. Cut into 12 equal pieces and keep covered.
6. To make each pancake, cut one piece of dough exactly in half.
7. Roll each half into a ball and flatten slightly.
8. Roll each ball on a very lightly floured board to a round 3 inches in diameter.
9. Brush sesame oil lightly on top of one round and cover with another round.
10. Press the 2 rounds lightly but firmly together.
11. Place the double round on a lightly floured board and roll out, from center to edges, until 7 or 8 inches in diameter (don't worry if rounds are not perfect).
12. Turn frequently, brushing board lightly with flour as needed.
13. Repeat procedure until you have 2 or 3 pancakes; then cook before making more.
14. Heat a wide frying pan over medium-high heat, then place a pancake on the ungreased surface.
15. Turn about every 15 seconds until cake is blistered by air pockets, turns parchment color and feels dry.
16. Cake should not brown, but a few golden spots won't hurt.
17. If overcooked, cake becomes brittle.
18. Remove from pan and carefully pull the two halves apart and stack them on a plate.
19. Keep covered as you cook remaining cakes.
20. Serve warm; or let cool, wrap airtight, and refrigerate of freeze for later use.
21. To heat for serving, thaw if frozen.
22. Line a flat-bottomed steamer with towel dipped in water and wrung dry; stack pancakes inside and fold towel over pancakes.
23. Cover and steam over simmering water for five minutes.
24. Fold hot pancakes in half, then in half again, and arrange in a serving basket.
25. Since they dry out quickly, serve just a few at a time and keep remainder covered.