Kolache Slovakian Pastry Recipe
Instructions:1. Crumple yeast into bowl. Add milk which has been scalded and cooled to 80F. Add sugar and salt.
2. Stir to dissolve.
3. Beat the eggs well.
4. Add the beaten eggs.
5. Sift flour once before measuring. Spool lightly into cup to measure. Add the mace and lemon rind to the flour, then add all the flour to the liquid, at once, working it in thoroughly with your hands.
6. Work in the softened shortening.
7. When the dough is well mixed, knead gently in bowl or on lightly floured board until smooth.
8. Round up and set to rise in a well greased bowl.
9. Cover bowl and keep dough at 80-85F until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.
10. Remove dough from bowl and round up on a lightly floured board.
11. Cover and allow to loosen up for 15 minutes.
12. Shape into desired shapes (i.e. roll out, wrap the fillings in the dough, etc.)
13. Let the kolache rise again until not quite doubled in bulk, about 30-40 minutes.
14. Brush top with solution of 1 egg yolk slightly beaten and diluted with 1/2 cold water.
15. Bake 20-25 minutes in 400F oven.
16. When done baking, rub the crust with butter.