Kentucky Griddle Cakes Recipe - Printable Version Serves 4
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup maple syrup, warmed
1. Mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium size bowl.
2. Combine the buttermilk, egg and oil in a small bowl.
3. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture just until well blended (the batter will still be slightly lumpy).
4. Lightly oil the griddle or large frying pan.
5. Heat over medium high heat until a drop of water will dance across the surface.
6. Stir the batter and drop a test cake ( 1/4 cup of batter) on the griddle.
7. Cook until the bubbles burst on the top surface and the bottom is light brown.
8. Turn and cook the other side until it is browned (1-2 minutes). (Add more buttermilk to the batter if the first cake does not spread well.
9. Serve the griddle cakes with the warm syrup.