Instructions:1. In a cup dissolve soda in a little warm water.
2. In a large saucepan, put butter, sugar, honey and molasses, where it will get hot but DO NOT boil! When sugar dissolves (just before boiling), remove from stove and place in LARGE mixing bowl and let cool a bit. Can be warm to touch but not hot!
3. Add cardamon, cloves, and soda and mix.
4. Add egg yolks and mix well.
5. Then beat egg whites stiff and add them.
6. Mix together adding as much flour as can be stirred with spoon, to make a very stiff dough.
7. Let chill few hours or even overnight. (Dough will keep well for 3 days in refrigerator).
8. Knead with hands a bit and roll out onto floured pastry cloth.
9. Cut into cookie shapes. Sprinkle with colored "crystals" for decoration, if you like.
10. Bake on cookie sheets at 350 6-8 mins.
11. If using airbake pans, cook about 8 mins.
12. Cool. Ice, if you wish. Stack in cookie container. To keep cookies soft in containers add a piece of bread in the container and keep sealed. They will keep for months (if not eaten quick enough). Uniced cookies freeze well.
13. Best if left to age a couple days before eating!