Gingerbread Boys and Girls Recipe - Printable Version Makes 5 to 6 dozen
- 1 cup shortening, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1. Pour melted shortening into large mixing bowl.
2. Let cool slightly.
3. Add sugar and molasses, blending well by hand or with an electric mixer.
4. Add eggs, mixing until smooth and creamy.
5. Mix salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg into mixture.
6. Begin to add flour, mixing by hand, a little at a time.
7. Don't hurry this step.
8. Continue adding as much flour as dough will absorb.
9. You may need to knead flour in with your hands.
10. Dough will be very stiff.
11. Cover dough and chill at least an hour.
12. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
13. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
14. Roll dough 1/8-inch thick on floured surface.
15. Cut out with gingerbread boy and girl cookie cutters.
16. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
17. Bake about 5 to 8 minutes or until they brown slightly.
18. Let cool slightly, then remove from cookie sheet and place on wire rack.
19. When completely cool, decorate as desired.