Gingerbread Bears Recipe - Printable Version Makes 2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup molasses, light
- 1 egg, large
- 3 1/2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
1. In a large bowl, at low speed, beat butter, brown sugar and molasses until light and fluffy.
2. Add egg and remaining ingredients.
3. Beat at low speed until well mixed, constantly scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
4. Shape dough into a ball, wrap tightly with plastic wrap adn chill 3-4 hours.
5. Lightly grease 2 large cookie sheets, turn oven to 350.
6. On lightly floured surface using a floured rolling pin, roll 1/2 of dough 1/4-inch thick.
7. Keep other half refrigerated.
8. With a 3-inch cookie cutter, cat as many cookies as you can; reserve trimmings.
9. With pancake turner, carefully place cookies on cookie sheets.
10. Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are light brown.
11. Remove to wire racks to cool.
12. Repeat with other half of dough and trimmings.
13. In a large bowl using mixer at low speed beat 5 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar, and 4 egg whites just until mixed.
14. Turn speed to high and beat until stiff.
15. Divide dough into small bowls and tint each with food coloring of your choice.
16. If necessary, add a little water for spreading ease.
17. Keep all bowls covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying out.
18. 4-Decorate cookies: place cookies on waxed paper lined cookie sheets.
19. With small and medium artist's brushes, paint the cookies.
20. Allow cookies to dry completely, about 2 hours.
21. Store in tightly covered containers.