Handmade English Muffins Recipe
Instructions:1. Scald the milk.
2. Stir in the tablespoon of sugar, the salt, and the vegetable oil.
3. Pour into a large bowl and let stand until tepid.
4. Sprinkle the tablespoon of sugar and the yeast into the water, let stand for 10 minutes.
5. Stir the yeast, then pour into the lukewarm milk mixture.
6. Beat in egg and two cups flour until smooth.
7. Cover bowl and let rise until doubled and bubbly, about 1 1/4 hours.
8. Stir down the bubbles and add the other 2 cups of flour.
9. Knead on a floured surface (adding more flour as needed).
10. Let rise again until doubled.
11. Sprinkle cornmeal on your kneading surface.
12. Roll dough to about 1/2-inch thickness.
13. Sprinkle cornmeal on top.
14. Use a cup or a biscuit cutter to cut into rounds.
15. Cover and let rise again until doubles.
16. Heat an electric skillet to medium.
17. Spray with PAM (or otherwise lightly grease).
18. Place muffin on hot surface, cover the pan.
19. Cook on one side for 3 to 8 minutes until brown.
20. Flip then brown the other side.