Wheat Germ Crunch Muffins Recipe
Nutritional Information per muffin: 150 calories, 4g fat, 0mg chol, 1g fiber, 140mg sodium.
Instructions:1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray the bottoms with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine the first 5 ingredients; mix well.
3. Add the combined milk, melted margarine and egg; mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
4. Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full.
5. Sprinkle with wheat germ.
6. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Serve warm.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins:
Add 3/4 cup finely-chopped apple and 1 tsp cinnamon to the dry ingredients.
1. Fill the muffin cups 1/2 full with batter.
2. Spoon 1 tsp jam (any flavor) into the center of each muffin; top with the remaining batter.
Dried Fruit Muffins:
Add 1/2 cup of any one of the following dried fruits to the dry ingredients: raisins, cherries, blueberries, cranberries, chopped dates or diced dried mixed fruits.
Berry Good Muffins:
Add 3/4 cup fresh or frozen berries (do not thaw) and 3/4 tsp grated lemon peel to the dry ingredients.