Triple Wheat-Honey Muffins Recipe - Printable Version Makes 12 muffins
- 1/4 cup uncooked wheat flakes (rolled wheat) and 3/4 cup water, or 3/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 1/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large egg whites or 1/4 cup, cholesterol-free egg product
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Heat wheat flakes and water to boiling in 1-quart saucepan; reduce heat.
2. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
3. Cool 10 minutes.
4. Heat oven to 400F.
5. Spray bottoms only of 12 medium muffin cups, 2 1/2" x 1 1/4" with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
6. Beat buttermilk, honey, oil, vanilla and egg whites in large bowl.
7. Stir in flour, wheat bran, baking powder, abaking soda and salt just until flouri is moistened.
8. Fold in cooked wheat flakes.
9. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (cups will be fery full).
10. Bake 22 to 24 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Immediately remove from pan.