Rice Waffles with Strawberry Sauce Recipe - Printable Version Makes about 8 waffles
These light waffles are made with cooked rice and sweetened with cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey. Serve them with a cooked sauce made with seasonal fruit. Here, strawberries are recommended.
- Safflower oil or cooking spray, to coat waffle iron
- 3/4 cup sifted rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tsp date sugar or maple syrup
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- Cup nonfat yogurt
1. Preheat waffle iron and lightly brush with safflower oil.
2. In a medium bowl combine rice flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl combine honey, egg yolks, milk, the 1/4 cup safflower oil, and rice.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
5. Combine dry and wet ingredients, then fold in egg whites.
6. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
7. Cook waffles, one at a time, keeping them warm in the oven on a heatproof platter.
8. In a small saucepan combine strawberries, date sugar, and arrowroot.
9. Cook over medium-high heat until thick.
10. Let cool slightly, then mix with yogurt.
11. Pour strawberry sauce over warm waffles and serve.