Quaker Oat Bran Muffins Recipe - Printable Version Makes 12 muffins
(based on using the first ingredient listed and no optional ingredients). Per muffin: Calories - 120, Carbohydrates - 19g, Protein - 4g, Fat - 3g, Sodium - 90 mg, Calcium - 80 mg, Cholesterol - 0 mg, Dietary Fiber - 2g.
- 2 cup quaker oat bran cereal
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 cup skim or 2% lowfat milk
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup honey or molasses
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with vegetable oil cooking spray.
3. Combine dry ingredients.
4. Add milk, egg whites, honey and oil; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Fill prepared muffin cups almost full; bake 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.
6. To freeze, wrap muffins securely; store in freezer up to 3 months.
7. To reheat frozen muffins in microwave oven, microwave at HIGH 25 to 30 seconds for each muffin.
Add to batter any one of the following:
- Raisin Nut Muffins - 1/4 cup raisins and 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- Banana Nut Muffins - 1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1 medium) and 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- Blueberry Muffins - 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins - 1/2 cup chopped apple (about 1 small), 1/4 cup chopped nuts and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.