Bran English Muffin Recipe
Instructions:1. Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside to proof.
2. Mix scalded milk and boiling water in large bowl.
3. Add honey and let stand until lukewarm.
4. Stir in yeast and whole wheat flour.
5. Cover with damp cloth and let stand in warm draft-free area until doubled.
6. Stir sponge down.
7. Combine all purpose flour, bran, salt and soda and blend into sponge.
8. Turn out onto floured surface and knead well (dough should be workable but sticky).
9. Return dough to bowl and let rise again 25-30 minutes.
10. Grease 12 muffin rings (3 to 3 1/2-inch round).
11. Punch dough down and roll or pat out to 1/2-inch thickness.
12. Cut into circles and transfer with rings to flat surface, cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
13. Dust both sides with cornmeal.
14. Toast on both sides on ungreased griddle until browned, about 6-8 minutes per side, removing ring after first side is browned.
15. Let muffins cool on rack.
16. Separate into halves with fork.
17. Wrap well and refrigerate.
18. Toast under broiler or in toaster oven just before serving.