German Pepper Cookies Recipe - Printable Version Makes 16 cookies
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/4 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 finely grated lemon peel
- 2 tbsp chopped mixed candied peel
- Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Whisk egg and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Sift flour, salt, cinnamon, white pepper, Mixed Spice, cornstarch and baking powder into egg mixture.
3. Add lemon peel and candied peel and stir well.
4. Chill for 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350 F.
6. Lightly grease several baking sheets.
7. Form mixture into 16 small balls and place well apart on baking sheets.
8. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes or until well risen and lightly golden.
9. Cool on a wire rack.
10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
11. Store several days before serving to allow time for flavors to mellow.