German Loaf Cookies Recipe - Printable Version Makes 30 cookies
- 2 1/2 tbsp fructose
- 1/2 cup egg substitute or 1 large egg, plus 2 large egg whites
- 4 tbsp softened margarine
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups sifted unbleached flour
- 2 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Combine fructose and egg substitute; beat until light and fluffy.
3. Add margarine, lemon juice, lemon zest, almond extract, flour, and baking powder.
4. Mix well.
5. Place 3/4 of the dough mixture on a floured board.
6. Form into a rectangle about 3/4 inches thick.
7. Add cocoa and cinnamon to remaining dough and spread over rectangle.
8. Fold both sides of dough into the middle to make a long, flattened log.
9. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, until lightly browned.
10. Remove from oven and slice with a very sharp knife into 1/2 inch slices.
11. Preheat broiler.
12. Place slices on an ungreased baking sheet and broil for a few moments on each side (be careful; these burn easily).
13. Cool on a wire rack.
14. Store in an airtight container.