Sicilian Fruit Filled Pastry Recipe
1. Combine flour, confectioners sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. Cut in shortening; add yolks and vanilla.
3. Blend and knead.
4. If a little dry, add cold water a tablespoon at a time to form a pliable dough.
5. Cut into four parts, knead each well, cover and let rest for 1 hour.
1. Immerse dry figs in hot water for about 5 minutes, drain, remove stem and chop.
2. Mix with all other filling ingredients and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
Blend all ingredients together to form a soft icing.
1. Roll out dough to a rectangular sheet to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness.
2. Cut into strips 4 inches wide.
3. Place filling along edge of strip to about 1 1/2 to 2-inch to the edge.
4. Roll dough over to form a tube and press edges together.
6. Cut diagonally into 2- to 3-inch pieces, cut a slit on top.
7. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Do not crowd.
8. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden in color.
9. Spread icing on warm cookies; return cookies to oven for a few minutes to set and dry icing.