Raisin English Muffins Recipe
Instructions:1. Dissolve yeast in water in a large mixing bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
2. Combine milk, sugar, salt, and butter in a small saucepan.
3. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring until butter melts.
4. Coll to likewarm (105 to 115 degrees).
5. Stir milk mixture, raisins, and 3 cups flour into yeast mixture; beat until smooth.
6. Add 2-1/2 to 3 cups flour to form a stiff dough.
7. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead 2 minutes or until dough can be shaped into a ball (dough will be slightly sticky).
8. Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
9. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees) free of drafts, about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
10. Punch dough down, and divide in half.
11. Turn each half out onto a smooth surface heavily sprinkled with cornmeal.
12. Pat one half of dough into a circle, 1/2 inch thick, using palms of hands; cut dough into rounds with a 2-3/4-inch cutter. (Cut carefully, as any leftover dough should not be reused.)
13. Sprinkle 2 baking sheets with cornmeal.
14. Transfer cut dough rounds to baking sheets, placing 2 inches apart with cornmeal side down (one side of dough should remain free of cornmeal).
15. Repeat process with remaining half of dough.
16. Cover and let rixe in a warm place (85F), free of drafts, for 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
17. Using a wide spatula, transfer rounds to a preheated 360 degree, lighlty greased electric skillet. Muffins may be cooked over direct medium-high heat in a skillet.
18. Place cornmeal side down; cook for 6 minutes.
19. Turn and cook 6 additional minutes.
20. Cool on wire racks.
21. To serve, split muffins and toast until lighlty browned.
22. Store muffins in an airtight container.