Mixed Fruit Cocktail Recipe - Printable Version Makes 6 pints
- 3 lbs peaches
- 3 lbs pears
- 1 1/2 lbs seedless green grapes, slightly underripe
- 10 oz jar of maraschino cherries
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
Pint or half-pint jars
1. Stem and wash grapes, and keep in ascorbic acid solution.
2. Dip ripe but firm peaches, a few at a time, in boiling water for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes to loosen skins.
3. Dip in cold water and slip off skins.
4. Cut in half, remove pits, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and keep in solution with grapes.
5. Peel, halve, and core pears.
6. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes, and keep in solution with grapes and peaches.
7. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
8. Drain mixed fruit.
9. Add 1/2 cup of hot syrup to each jar, then add a few cherries and gently fill the jar with mixed fruit and more hot syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
10. Adjust lids and process in a boiling-water canner according to the altitude. At 0 - 1,000 ft, process for 20 minutes. At 1,001 - 3,000 ft, process for 25 minutes. At 3,001 - 6,000 ft, process for 30 minutes. Above 6,000 ft, process for 35 minutes.