Almond-Streusel Peach Pie Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp butter, chilled
- 2 tbsp shortening, chilled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 lemon
- 9 peaches, about 3 lbs
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp dry bread crumbs
1. Combine 1 cup flour and 1/2 tsp salt.
2. Cut in 4 tbsp of butter and the shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few pea-sized pieces remaining.
3. Sprinkle in 3 to 4 tbsp ice water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough just comes together.
4. Gather into a disk. Wrap and chill at least 30 minutes.
5. Combine remaining cup of flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
6. Cut in remaining 6 tbsp of butter until crumbly.
7. Stir in almonds.
9. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out chilled pie pastry to fit a 9" pie pan.
10. Fit pastry into pan. Trim and flute edges.
12. Heat oven to 475.
13. Grate 1 tsp of lemon zest from the lemon and squeeze 1 tbsp of juice.
14. Peel peaches and slice.
15. Combine with remaining 2/3 cup brown sugar, remaining 1/2 ts nutmeg, lemon zest and juice, cornstarch and almond extract.
16. Sprinkle bread crumbs over bottom of pie shell and fill with peach mixture.
17. Sprinkle almond crumb mixture on top.
18. Bake 15 minutes.
19. Reduce temperature to 350F.
20. Continue baking until top is browned and fruit juices are bubbling, 50 to 55 minutes.
21. Cool completely before cutting.