Simple Orange Muffins Recipe - Printable Version Makes 12 muffins
I always use tofu as an egg-replacer in baked goods, with excellent results. It may only be luck, or coincidence, so if you don't have a piece of tofu handy, try omitting it.
These muffins are pretty sweet, so you may want to decrease the amount of sugar used. The sugar does seem to act as a humectant though, so the muffins will stay a little moister in storage if you use more sugar.
- 1 large orange
- 1 oz tofu (optional)
- 3/4 cup sugar, (less if desired)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup water or orange juice
- 2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Finely grate the zest from the orange.
3. Squeeze out and strain the orange's juice.
4. Set zest and juice aside.
5. In a bowl, thoroughly mash the tofu with the sugar, or blend together with an electric mixer.
6. Mix in the finely grated orange zest and juice from the orange, oil, and water (or additional orange juice).
7. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
8. Blend in the orange juice mixture.
9. Spoon batter into muffin pans, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
10. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until muffins are starting to brown very lightly, and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.