Pan-Sized Lemon and Blackberry Pancakes Recipe
Instructions:1. Mix together milk and lemon juice in small nonreactive bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and lemon zest in large nonreactive bowl.
3. After the 10 minutes, whisk egg yolks into mixture.
4. Add liquid mixture all at once to flour mixture and stir along with melted butter until just incorporated. Do not overmix - small lumps will remain.
5. In a clean bowl, whip egg whites until stiff but not dry.
6. Fold half of egg whites into batter to lighten it.
7. Gently fold in remaining half.
8. Gently fold in berries.
9. Preheat 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, depending upon stove. When water drops splatter, pan is ready.
10. Ladle 1 cup batter into pan being sure to get even amount of berries in each pancake and move berries around to evenly distribute. Pancake should be pan sized.
11. Turn pancake when puffed and golden brown and multiple bubbles have appeared.
12. Be sure pancake has had enough time to set before turning, since larger pancakes take longer to cook through in center.
13. Cook on the other side until golden and cooked through in center.
14. Serve immediately with a drizzle of warmed citrus syrup.
1. Heat water and sugar in heavy bottom nonreactive saucepan over medium heat and stir to dissolve sugar.
2. When completely dissolved, increase heat to high.
3. When syrup comes to a boil, cover pan and start timing immediately.
4. Boil syrup for about 3 minutes.
5. Uncover and add lemon juice and zest.
6. Continue boiling, uncovered, for about 3 minutes longer or until syrupy.
7. If syrup is too thick when reaheating, thin with a little water.
8. If too thin boil for 1 to 2 minutes to reduce.
Makes 1 1/2 cups.