Lemon Slice Muffins Recipe
Instructions:1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Butter standard size muffin tins.
2. Finely grate the zest from the lemons, removing only the bright yellow portion of the peel. Set the lemons aside.
3. Combine the zest, the water and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a small saucepan.
4. Stir over medium heat for about 2 minutes, just until the sugar dissolves.
5. Add the butter and stir until melted, about 1 minute longer. Set aside.
6. With a sharp knife remove and discard all the remaining peel from the lemons.
7. Cut the lemons crosswise into slices about 1/4 inch thick; discard any seeds.
8. You will need about 12 nicely shaped slices.
9. Put about 1 teaspoon of the remaining sugar in the bottom of each prepared muffin cup and place a lemon slice on top.
10. In a medium bowl, stir and toss together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
11. In a larger bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and the reserved lemon mixture until smooth.
12. Add the combined dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
13. Spoon into the tins, filling about 3/4 full.
14. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 15 - 20 minutes.
15. Immediately invert the tins; the muffins should fall out. If they resist, nudge them with a knife.