Lebkuchen or German Honey Cakes Recipe
Instructions:1. Put the honey and the sugar in a mixing bowl, and beat until blended.
2. Add the egg and beat very well.
3. Stir in the lemon juice.
4. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and allspice, and sift them together onto a piece of waxed paper.
5. Add to the honey mixture and beat well.
6. Stir in the citron.
7. Cover the bowl, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours (The dough will be much easier to roll out if it is well chilled.)
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease some cookie sheets.
9. Place 1/2 of the dough on a lightly floured surface (keep the other half chilled).
10. Roll the dough into a large rectangle about 1/4" thick, sprinkling flour as necessary to keep it from sticking.
11. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into rectangles about 1-1/2 x 2-1/2-inches.
12. Place about 1" apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
13. Roll out the other half while you are baking the first batch of cookies.
14. Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are slightly colored.
15. Remove from the oven, and gently lift the cookies off the sheets, and onto wire racks to cool. While the cookies are still warm, brush with a Basic Clear Glaze, if you wish.
16. Store airtight for at least several days, so the cookies can mellow.
Basic Clear Glaze:
1. Combine the sugar and water and mix well, to dissolve any lumps, and to make a smooth runny glaze.
2. Brush or spoon on cookies while they are still warm.