Authentic Pizzelles (Italian Lemon Cookies) Recipe
Instructions:1. Place butter in a small saucepan and warm over low heat until melted.
2. Remove from the heat and set aside until cooled.
3. Thoroughly stir together the flour and the baking powder in a bowl.
4. Beat the eggs until frothy.
5. Add sugar and lemon juice and continue beating until the mixture is light.
6. Beat in lemon zest and anise extract.
7. Add dry ingredients, beating lightly, until the mixture is smooth.
8. Lightly beat in the cooled butter until incorporated.
9. Lightly brush the interior surfaces of a seasoned pizelle iron with flavorless vegetable oil, being sure to cover all the grooves and indentations.
10. Heat the iron until a drop of water sizzles when sprinkled on the interior surfaces.
11. Remove iron from the heat and, holding it over waxed paper, drop about 2 tablespoons batter onto the center of one side.
12. Immediately close the iron and scrape off the batter that squeezes out the edges.
13. Place the iron on the burner and bake turning from one side to the other every 20 seconds and opening the iron frequently to check the wafer for doneness.
14. When it is light gold on both sides, quickly remove it from the iron, using tongs or a fork, and lay flat, on a wire rack until cool.
15. Repeat this process until all batter is used.
16. Store the wafers in an airtight container for 3-4 days.